Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I went to a beauty salon today..i mean thursday...and the

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I went to a beauty salon today..i mean thursday...and the female clinician took me to her office and insisted that I should show her the area i want to be treated i showed her my back she told me if i have the same problem somewhere else i told her yeah so she was insisting that i should lower my pants nd under wear so she can see after i did that i discover that there was a security camera behind me i was shocked!!! and told her what is this???? she said that she forgot that she has a security camera here
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no not yet i called a lawyer he asked me to send him an email i sent him an email at 6 pm and till now he didnt reply
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the lady apologized to me and told me that she will talk to the owner to delete the video i dont trust her and he may delete everything to run away with this
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It is a crime to place video cameras that catch someone in a state of undress when they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy in areas of a salon that are providing spa services to customers. You also have a reasonable expectation that when someone from the salon takes you into a seemingly private area and asks you to disrobe, you are not being recorded. You can actually file a police report - the clinician should have known there was a security camera in her office and not taken you there to show her part of your body.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello,
Thank you so much for your answer.I did hire a lawyer yesterday, and he told me that he the will contact the salon asking them to allow me to delete the video by my self. Also he will let them sign for not using any material against me.
I told him that I want them to pay for what they did to me, he said that I can do that? but I want to know how much can I ask them to pay?

There aren't any limits on what one person can ask another to pay them for a legal wrong. But your lawyer can research breach of privacy cases in your area and see what juries have awarded and what other cases have settled for. That may give you a starting point.