Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I received a memorandum of costs after judgment in CA. I

Customer Question

I received a memorandum of costs after judgment in CA. I paid the judgment but do not agree with all of the costs, as sum were included in the judgment. Do I need special forms to respond or can I write a letter to the court? I received the memo from the law firm but don't know if they filed it with the court.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Looking at my court case online I don't see any updates. If I call the court can they tell me if this has been filed? The mailed it to me 11 days ago.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The judgment is paid in full. They sent a communication a few weeks ago saying 10,200 would settle it. Now they are asking for 1,800 more, some of which was included in the 10,200. When I asked them to clarify the difference, they served me with the form.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To clarify, I am inquiring about a case in California not Canada.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the memo of costs after judgment received 1.20.17. I also received a document from the law firm on or around 1.10.17 saying the amount to satisfy the judgment was 10,251 which was paid. Can I dispute these additional charges on the basis that their accounting seems incorrect?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file an "objection to memorandum" which follows the same identical format of the Memorandum of Costs (looks the same) and in your objection you explain exactly what you disagree with and why. You also attach any proof you have of your claims you make in your objection. You would then have the objection notarized and you send the original to court and a copy to the opposing counsel. The court would then set a hearing for the issues if the other party disagrees with your objections.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.