Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have written 4 letters to a landlord concerning nuisance

Customer Question

I have written 4 letters to a landlord concerning nuisance next door neighbors. three of the letters were received. A fourth letter was refused and returned to me. Nothing was ever don by this landlord. He never replied or responded to me and the fourth letter was refused. These neighbors are the worse I have ever experienced. I am 74 years old 15 yr military vet ( 2 yrs in SE Asia, the other during the Cuban crises. I have pleaded with the neighbors, to no avail, contact the 12th District Police - community relations officer, but have never heard from him in about 6 months. I have dialed 911 multiple times, but the can only do but so much. I filed a report with the Police Dept. do I have a case (small claims) against the landlord?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Does the landlord own the property and rent to the neighbors as well? How long have you rented the property for and how long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the landlord owns the property and rented it to the current tenant. I own my home.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
DO I HAVE A CASE ORR NOT.

Thank you for the reply and please allow me a moment to respond

Based upon what you shared above, your remedy would be against the tenants, to show that they are creating not only a constant disturbance but a nuisance, with the noise, that is having a negative effect on you and your property. A nuisance involves an unreasonable or unlawful use of property that results in material annoyance, inconvenience, discomfort, or injury to another person or to the public. You could sue the tenants and bring them before the Judge, who can order they cease the conduct. Now, if you name the owner, you can bring him in and include him as well, essentially forcing him to evict them, if he is aware of the situation and the court determined there is a legal issue present, which he can control and resolve. It is not so much as monetary damages, which will be awarded but a court order to cease the conduct which is creating this.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!