Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a licensed attorney ready to answer your questions in a variety of areas.
97407003

Company lets me go. I provide all of my receipts upon my

Customer Question

Company lets me go. I provide all of my receipts upon my departure for reimbursement, all were in line with travel policies. 2 weeks later my personal items are shipped to me. I did not see them until a month later and they sent my company lap top in the package. They disputed items - 36 for reimbursement - no check was sent in between for agreed upon items.No communication. A Lawyer then gives me an e mail 3 months later demanding the return of the laptop and would not provide me the list of items that were being reimbursed. Now they are demanding it, still without providing any list of what is being paid for reimbursement. I have asked for this, they wont provide it. Do I have a legal right to know what they are paying and since I did not leave with this laptop, why am I the bad guy here? I asked for the list a month ago, nothing. Now they are threatening me. What to do? Rights?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: New Mexico
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just wanted to ask this one question. That was it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. It's great to meet you! Bear with me a moment while I review your question for you, cool?

Ok, so if you had an agreement with the company that you were supposed to be reimbursed for certain travel items, then they should owe you that reimbursement. Unless there's some provision that would keep them from doing so, they are in breach of contract, and you could recover for the cost of the reimbursement. Theoretically, you could take the employer to small claims court for that amount.

As far as the laptop is concerned, I would not recommend holding onto it much longer. They may start an action saying that you are unlawfully withholding their property, which could be a whole mess you don't want to get into. But understand that the laptop and your reimbursement are two separate issues.

One thing I would recommend is to think about the itemized things for which you should be reimbursed. You could put down things like plane tickets, meals, or whatever else was to be reimbursed to you. You could state that according to company policy, you are owed these amounts. Make sure that you put in the amount you believe you are entitled to.

Within the next 1-2 weeks, I would also recommend returning the laptop if it is theirs. This way, you can save yourself some headaches and if you are in front of a judge for small claims, then any argument they have regarding your keeping the laptop will be moot.

Hi, I know it's been a few days, but I was wondering if you had any follow up questions:-)