How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2129
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a contract with an attorney to provide expert

Customer Question

I signed a contract with an attorney to provide expert services in Colorado in 2013. Orally, the attorney asked me to limit the bill. I agreed provided that the extra charges would be provided as in-kind services by the lawyer on an issue that was pending. I did not know the issue would only arise in 2016. Now the lawyer is ignoring our oral agreement. Do I have a right to claim in-kind services of similar value? Yes, there are some emails indicating I would limit hours billed. But I do not believe there is an email about in-kind services, even though I just reminded him.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Furthermore the lawyer asked me to only bill X. I do have an email or two indicating I will reduce hours. However, the understanding was I would get payment in-kind and he could bill his client more. Now 3 years later, granted, even though I asked him to limit his bill, he just continues to bill me and appears unwilling to give me credit or acknowledge the agreement. What to do? Now he is threatening to sue me and threatening that I will have to pay attorney fees if he does plus my bill.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One more point, sorry, he has billed me, in my opinion excessively. He billed me a total of about 60 hours. I claim that he should retract 10 hours of those bills. How to dispute this as it appears he makes up some times and double charges me given that he changed his mind on an issue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The point is I limited a bill to $7,500, did not charge $5,125 (or 20.5 hours of work). When the attorney and I signed his contract I orally noted for him to limit the bill to $7,500, we concurred, essentially replicating the previous agreement. I was busy, have already paid $8,825 of bills. Now he is demanding an additional $3,725 and claiming I am asking for free legal services. I want to point out that he is excessively charging me for 9.8 hours of work because of a) improper timing, i.e. one event should be 1.7 hours not 2.7 hours, b) changed his mind on advice he gave me - contradictory advice - a credit of another 4 or so hours, c) was ill and complained that he was not getting enough blood to his brain - which in my opinion is why he asked the same question 3x and then never followed through.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that. my suggestion would be to file a grievance with the state bar about his conduct.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Asad, how can I say this. I already knew that information. I was hoping to get details as to how to appeal the bill. How to appeal the fact that we had an oral agreement. If he sues me, which I assume it is a real threat, the current bill is $3775. If this goes to small claims court, great, to arbitration, great, however, I assume he would sue me in county court in order to try to collect his own legal fees for suing me. So how do I protect myself? This is the info I am looking for. Not, file a grievance with the state bar about his conduct.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
More than happy to speak and pay the telephone fee, but as there is no real response to the written question, I will ask for a refund there.