Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I recenty purhased a vehichle and they basically ripped me

Customer Question

I recenty purhased a vehichle and they basically ripped me off and I went there to have rewrite the contract but they wont...what can I do
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what do you mean
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I haven't file anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I hope to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
How do you feel you were ripped off? Did you get the car you contracted to buy?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i traded in 2014 for a 2016 but they didn't give me the Kelly blue book value of my car which is 16000...they only gave 12500...and they took my 5000 down payment and used it towards the negative equity from the 2014 so it made my down payment 1500 and they charged me for a extended warranty and theft deterrent devices i wasnt aware of
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately, courts do not generally get involved in sufficiency of consideration. There is a presumption that people have an opportunity to negotiate the terms of the transaction and can walk away if they do not like the terms.
So, in order to have a viable claim you would need to show fraud or misrepresentation or breach of warranty.
Otherwise, it is just a bad deal, but not a legal violation.
You can file a consumer complaint with the state attorney general's office. If there are enough complaints they will take administrative action against the dealer.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.