Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My boyfriend has a newborn baby (now 2 months) with his ex

Customer Question

My boyfriend has a newborn baby (now 2 months) with his ex along with a 4 year old. The mediator and his lawyer told him to accept a deal where he can see his newborn inside her house every Saturday for 2 hours. My question is this normal? Is it normal he can't take his son out of his exs house. Kids can be put in daycare at 6 weeks so why can't he have the baby for 2 hours at 8 weeks?
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, when the child is very young (6 months or less), it is normal for the child to stay with the mother the majority of the time -- especially if the child is being breastfed. So, a 2 hour period of time is not unreasonable for the first few months or so.....but, the court should open up the time and your boyfriend's ability to have the child at his house, etc. after the child gets older.

If your boyfriend wants to agree to this, he may want to suggest having a provision that says his visitation increases with the age of the child.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But the 2 hours has to be at her house with her. Is this normal that he can't have his son alone for 2 hours. I understand the 2 hour reason but I don't see why he can't have him alone
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

It is not unusual for a newborn.....but he can object and ask the court to allow him visitation at his house, etc. if he doesn't agree to it. It's ultimately up to the judge if the parties cannot agree.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!