Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

IN 2001-2002 I WAS A VICTIM IN A CASE INVOLVING CHILD

Customer Question

IN 2001-2002 I WAS A VICTIM IN A CASE INVOLVING CHILD MOLESTATION AND SEXUAL ABUSE. THE DEFENDENT WAS SENTENCED TO 18 YEARS, HE WILL BE GETTING OUT SEPTEMBER OF THIS YEAR, 2017, WITH TIME SERVED OF 15 YEARS. I WAS LOOKING INTO SEEING IF I WOULD BE ABLE TO SUE HIM, I AM NOT SURE HOW THIS PROCESS WORKS, FOR PAIN AND SUFFERING, LOSS OF ENJOYMENT OF LIFE, MENTAL ECT ECT. I HAVE EVIDENCE TO PROVE. THE ISSUE IS, I WAS 8 AT THE TIME OF THE ABUSE, I WAS 12 WHEN HE WAS SENTENCED. I AM NOW 27, I WILL BE TURNING 28 NEXT MONTH, AND I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS A TIME LIMIT ON GOING BACK AND ENTERING INTO ANOTHER CASE AGAINST HIM SINCE I AM NO LONGER A CHILD.I MAY NOT BE MAKING SENSE, BUT ANY ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california, i may be in the wrong place. I am sorry if i am
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: in terms of?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: if their is a time limit into entering in a pain and suffering law suit
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 14 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok, thank you.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 14 days ago.

You cannot sue for pain and suffering. You sue for personal injury. When you sue for personal injuries, you can then ask for additional damages to be awarded for the pain and suffering.

Unfortunately, there is a statute of limitations on civil personal injury suits. It is two years, and the time starts running from the time of the molestation and abuse. So you are at this point time barred from being able to sue civilly.

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.