Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Of the 2017 Marine Corps League National Convention in

Customer Question

I am Chairman of the 2017 Marine Corps League National Convention in Overland Park, KS. The Convention is in August of 2017. WE have set-up a non profit corporation "2017 Marine Corps League National Convention". We also have an EIN Number. We now nee to set-up the corporation as a 501C3 as we are non profit accepting donations / event sponsors. When convention has been completed we will dissolve the corporation and any remaining monies will be donated to veterans organizations.
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: Kansas - ID. #(###) ###-####RE: 2017 Marine Corps League Convention Corporation. Federal EIN 47-5285857.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: REASONS FOR A CORPORATION SEPARATE FROM NATIONAL MARINE CORPS LEAGUE ORGANIZATIONIf the conference is a National Marine Corps League Convention (function) why is a separate 2017 MCL Convention Corporation being set-up?
The local host Marine Corps League Detachment has to set up the corporation, because all funds and responsibilities will be on the host not the National Marine Corps League. It will allow the local host to solicit donations / event sponsors and gifts that only a non-profit corporation can receive.What is the general purpose of the 2017 MCL Convention Corporation?
The vessel in which all funds for the event will collected and distributed as required or needed. It will also protect your Department / Detachment from lawsuits or liability if something happens, with the corporation, it would be the liable party.What is the responsibilities of the National MCL Corporation?
The National Marine Corps League is the overseer of the Convention to ensure everything is run and set up according to the needs of the Convention and membership.How will these two entities interact if separate?
The local host will run the show and be in charge of everything before / during / after the convention. Once the final site visit is done and everything is according to the National Bylaws, the National Convention Committee steps back and allows the local host to run things. The National Convention Committee is basically an advisor source to the Local Host to ensure everything gets taken care of.Will 2017 MCL Convention Corporation be dissolved after convention?
Once all financial books have been audited, reconciled, and closed, yes the corporation will be dissolved. Remaining monies will be donated to veterans organizations.A new convention corporation is set-up every year. Example last year was Tulsa, OK “2016 Marine Corps League Convention Corporation”.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Need help applying / filling out paperwork for 501C3 status

What specifically do you need help with on the Form 1023?