How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 35334
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a WA resident and inheriting money from my Moms estate

Customer Question

I am a WA resident and inheriting money from my Moms estate in Calif. Do I need to pay Calif state income tax on these funds?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am a Washington State resident
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not as yet, I am starting to work on taxes for 2016
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do I put inheritance money on a Capital Gains IRS form?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


No, inheritances are neither income nor capital gains with relation to the IRS. They are tax free receipts from the estate of the deceased so you as the beneficiary do not owe any taxes at all on the money you received from the estate. If there were any taxes owed, they would be on the estate and the executor of the estate would have already withheld them and paid them to the IRS prior to distributing your gifts.


So your inheritance is tax free..





Related Legal Questions