Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How does a landlord have to fix an electrical issue?

Customer Question

How long does a landlord have to fix an electrical issue?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: on going issue for since 12/11/16 was told by electrician needed to replace electrical box. Landlord does not want to fix. Every week I have a new problem currently there is not enough power getting to electrical outlet for dryer to heat up. Last week it was 4 rooms without electric that has been fixed. He keeps putting bandaids on electrical issues. Also he was told about roof leak 6 months ago never fixed. Rented house because it had fence because I have dog. 4 pieces down never fixed. My contract says anything over $175 have to his permission. His not returning my calls
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The tenant must give the landlord seven days' written notice of the problem so the landlord can fix it, before taking measures such as withholding rent.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!