LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I bought a car from an individual. I didn't know that he

I bought a car from an individual. I didn't know that he hadn't had it registered in his name. Now I can't get plates for it and he has quit taking my calls or texts. I have a receipt for the money I paid him, and I have witnesses to the transaction. I can't see any way to absolve this with out going to court. I paid $2.700 for the car.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Missouri. The seller lives in Kansas and the title is a Kansas title.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. The dealer in Kansas who sold the car to the one who sold it to me said he would re-assign the car to me if the seller signed a release, but the seller is in Topeka and the dealer is in Lawrence Kansas, and I'm in KCMO. The seller in Topeka doesn't have a car now, so I offered to pick him up and take him to Lawrence to sign the release, but he doesn't answer my calls or texts.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Who handled the deal? By that, I mean you said there was a dealer, so what was their role because you said you bought the car from an individual?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The dealer sold the car to the guy I bought it from, who was not a dealer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, I do not want you to call me.

Thank you. If the sale took place between you and the other party and the dealer was not involved, you would need to go after the seller. I know it is not ideal but if the seller is failing to cooperate and respond to you or the dealer to resolve this, legal action would need to be taken to either sue and get your money back or to compel transfer of the title, properly, so you can register it and get plates. After all, the seller needs to convey title and make sure you own and can drive the car, since that was the intended purpose of the sale, so if they fail to perform, they would be liable for the breach.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is my understanding. approximately how long would it take in small calims court to get this cleared up?

I think it could take 2-3 months. I say this because you would need to file, he would need to be served, be given a chance to respond and the first court date, may not be set for 4-5 weeks. Once he is served, he would see you are serious and likely cooperate but it would take a few weeks to get this moving along.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.