How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37743
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Father passed away in without a will and I am one of

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: My Father passed away in Virginia without a will and I am one of three siblings that survived him. My two siblings want to sell his home and land,but he still had a substantial mortgage and there are unpaid bills continually coming in to the estate.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I do not want to expose myself to risk or expenses involved in selling the property. I would like to waive or transfer any claim to the home and property to my siblings so they can proceed with the sale and need to know how I can do this with as little expense and court involvement as possible. I want to know what I can do to relinquish my claim to the property as an heir so that the of them can as if they were the only heirs and to emancipate myself from any probate or legal process that may be necessary for them to sell. This property is in the state of Virginia.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: My siblings are trying to do a sale through a real estate company without probate.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 12 days ago.

You can do this with a quit claim to the others.You are the grantor to the others-grantees.Once filed any interest you have passes to them.

Quit claim forms

You will need the property description off the prior deed to parents.

Sign it in front of notary and file in the deed records.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.