Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I have a legal question in the startup/technology field, CA,

Customer Question

Hi i have a legal question in the startup/technology field
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: CA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when i left my previous company (tech startup), i exercised my options but still did not receive my stokes certificate. It's been exactly a year since i left the company and every time i ask about the certificate they have some lame excuse.. is there anything i can do?
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

You may want to check to see if the board of directors of the corporation provided a resolution that some or all of any of its stock shall be uncertificated shares. This would allow the company to do away with having to issue paper certificates and just keep a record of ownership on its books. So, you may want to ask for proof of ownership of the stock from the company as opposed to actual certificates.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.