Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My x husband has a car loan where his name is the only name

Customer Question

My x husband has a car loan where his name is ***** ***** name on the note. They asked for 5 character references and now that he has fallen behind on the payments the have started calling not only the character references,but now they are calling people that weren't even mentioned. My family members and friends who are in-laws to his sister. Is that legal and what can I do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hawaii
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I haven't filed anything.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What R my rights.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Generally, a creditor an call friends and family members only once UNLESS the person requests that the creditor call back. Here's a good link you can read: http://consumerlawyer.mn/debt-collectors-calling-family-and-friends/

In order to completely stop this, your best option is to write the creditor and demand that it cease contacting you or anyone else about collecting the debt. Once you issue that letter, the creditor is prohibited from contacting you or anyone else under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.