Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  28 Years In General Practice,
68197583

My mom got in an accident last year February 12th 2016. The

good evening. My mom got in an accident last year February 12th 2016. The case got settled. But my lawyer told me it will take one year before he balances off with the rest of the money I find that so hard to comprehend so i was adviced to write him a letter and register it and demand for the res of my mother's money or he faces the bar association
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: oh yes as I mentioned the case go settled last year. We were awarded 100K lawyer took his percentage. Disbursed 50K and kept 25K saying if the hospital comes after him, he would have to give them that.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he told me last week that we have to wait till the accident anniversary before disbursing the rest. All i need the lawyer to tell me is: is he being ethical for withholding the money? Dont the hospital come after my mom and I and not him? Why is he still keeping our money?
Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. Please give me a moment to review your question.
I am having difficulty comprehending what the Attorney is telling you and I have been practicing law for 28 years. When was your mom released from the hospital?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Why is my question not answered?
I asked you a question. I agree with you I have never heard of an Attorney holding money in a settlement "in case the hospital comes after him". This is not ethical and I would contact the Georgia Bar Association immediately.
If your mom owed the hospital money you are correct the hospital would bill her for the money.
He should not be holding your money.

You will want to send the letter certified mail return receipt requested and copy the State Bar. That is your proof to the Bar that you notified the Attorney that you want a release of the balance of all funds and an explanation as to why he has been holding funds.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. Thank you for using JA. We appreciate your business.

Are you unable to see my response?

Please ignore the additional services request.

I believe I have answered your questions. The Attorneys on the site work with the customers in good faith as the only way we receive credit for our work is if the customer rates us positively. Thank you for your consideration.