Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I found my girlfriend with a half naked man in her house

I found my girlfriend with a half naked man in her house last night while I was there to unclog a sink drain. While I was working on it she was acting really weird so I asked what was going on. I had a hunch someone was there. Sure enough I found a man hiding behind her daughters bedroom door. I pretty calmly gathered my tools and left. She followed me outside trying to talk and I let my emotions take over and I pushed her away from me. I pushed her hard enough that she took about 4 steps away from me. She is claiming today that I pushed her hard enough that she hit the garage door hand first and broke her hand. She claims she went to the doctor today to find that her hand is broke in 4 places. I totally admit that I was wrong for touching her but she is seriously exaggerating what really happened. I have had several instances of not being able to trust her. She says she is not pressing charges but is also being threatening. What should I be doing?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it

Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about the situation. I would highly recommend that you do not discuss what happened with anyone, unless and until you are contacted by the police or an attorney for her. At that time, you should not make any statements at all except to your own attorney that you will want to hire at that time. It is important that you do not admit to her or anyone else what happened, as it won't help you at all at this point and can only potentially end up helping the State prove an assault charge or domestic battery, which is what you described, regardless of your lack of intent and her over exaggeration.

If she needs money for medical bills and asks you, it is up to you whether or not you pay her, but again, you do not want to admit you are responsible for her injuries.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. If none, then if you could let me know I answered your question and also leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit from the Site for assisting you. Thank you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I already messed up then. We have texted back and forth a bit and I have apologized for pushing her. It was after that she started adding more to the story. She says she isn't pressing charges but the way she is stretching the truth to me really has me scared in regards ***** ***** intentions. It sounds like your assumption is the same as mine and she wants me to just give her some money. Live and learn. Thanks for the advice

You're very welcome. From this point on you might want to consider not discussing the issue anymore, especially not with law enforcement. Best of luck to you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you

My pleasure