How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30828
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering how I go about changin, New York, Need to

This answer was rated:

Hi there. I was wondering how I go about changin
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Need to change the officers of the company. Removing one and replacing with another.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it really. Just want to know what forms we need to file and with whom

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Are the officers resigning? Are you the sole shareholder? Are you a director?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Officer would like to be removed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2 shareholders currently
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
New York company
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would like to replace one officer with a new one
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wondering what we have to do and forms to file with the state and federal government?

Thank you for the additional information.

So, there are no documents you need to file with the federal government to change corporate officers.

You can also wait to file annual report to show the new officer taking over.

Otherwise, the departing officer gives the board of directors a letter of resignation and the board appoints a replacement and documents the change in its minutes which it signs and adds to the corporate minute book or file.

It is a fairly simple process.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No New York State agencies to notify? Dept of labor, tax and finance?

No for merely changing a corporate officer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What about shares?

The shareholders do not change just because an officer resigns. Are shares changing hands as well?

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have to head out and will get a job to you tomorrow if that's ok?


If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you