RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

CAN I GET TAX RETURN INFORMATION AS FAR BACK AS 1983,

Customer Question

CAN I GET TAX RETURN INFORMATION AS FAR BACK AS 1983
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: FLORIDA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: YES BUT ON MY SS EARNINGS RECORD 1983 AND 1987 THERE IS NOTHING RECORDED
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Unfortunately, you cannot.

According to the IRS website, you can request the most common tax returns (1040, 1040ez, 1040A) going back up to 6 years. After that time, they are destroyed by law.

Was there anything I could clarify about my response or additional information you needed?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!