INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

When a county attorney keeps dragging out a hearing/trial to

Customer Question

When a county attorney keeps dragging out a hearing/trial to keep a person incarcated , who do you talk to?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The lawyer that is handling the case states she has tiled an amendment to suppress and complained to the Ombudsman but nothing seems to be happening.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How can a person be incarcarated on something that has not gone to court?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Has the issue been raised with the court or with the attorney's supervisor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have filed a complaint with the Iowa Ombudsman's office several months ago. My answer from them is they cannot give me legal advice on how a county attorney handles hiscases.

The issue can be raised with the court by motion seeking expedited handling or dismissal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no money--just want toknow why this seems backwards.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
who files this?

delays sometimes happen. You would need to ask the court to intervene. The motion would be filed by the party defendant. Is the answer fast and acceptable?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Who watches over all these court proceeding to make sure they are fair? Or is this just how the judicial system works?

It is how it works, and the court reviews them, but the issue has to be raised normally by the lawyers by motion.

I wish you the best.

Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so let me get this straight--If I was on probation and was stopped and charged for a DUI that I was never breathalized or had a blood test to prove that--I still have to be incarcarated for probation violation when I had not been drinking? How long does one have to wait?

Each case is different. Normally one is released pending trial or settlement. Delays are normally pursued by motion to the court or negotiation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it all about what I can afford to have a lawyer do for me? Seems I should be innocent for doing nothing wrong and released.. Time is easy to say when not incarcarated, Huh? Thanks for your help.

One can file the motion without a lawyer but as you are recognizing the advantage of the lawyer on your side is very helpful. The court clerk can help one pursue relief from the court without a lawyer as well. Very welcome. Kindly rate me 5 stars.