LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My ex husband has moved out of state to avoid paying child

Customer Question

My ex husband has moved out of state to avoid paying child support. He owes more then $16,000.00. The state of Massachusetts says there is nothing they can do
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Massachusetts he is in Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes in both states
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While there is nothing the state of MA can do for you, that does not mean that there is nothing you can do. It simply means that they will not do it for you, and you will have to do this on your own.

All you need to do is take your MA child support to the CO family law court, register the out of state (sister-state) support order with them and ask that they enforce the sister-state order through their court system. The CO court can issue a wage garnishment order against the employer he has in CO.

Here is a link to the CO forms needed to register your out of state child support order: https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=86

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the New Year,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug