How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38386
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I insure a car if the title is not under my name?

This answer was rated:

Can I insure a car if the title is not under my name? Basically, my son owns the car and I want to insure the car under my name.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you are able to insure a car not titled to you.You just need to talk to your agent and set this up.It should not be a problem.But it is certainly possible to do so.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Each insurance company has it’s own

An owned by endorsement is something that you can add to an insurance policy to allow you to insure the vehicle if it’s not titled in your name. Typically you need to have insurable interest in something in order to insure it. Insurable Interest is when you would have a financial loss if something happens to whatever it is that your insuring like a car or home. The owned by endorsement actually adds the titled owner of the vehicle to your insurance policy. They are listed as the owner of the vehicle and therefore would be the ones who receive any payout on any claims if there were any. Since your not the owner you wouldn’t be out anything if the vehicle were to be involved in an accident and totaled out. But the owner of the vehicle would be since they own the vehicle.

When you add an owned by endorsement to your policy they will run the owner’s information as well. They have to be able to qualify for insurance too. rules so it’s good to check around and ask if it’s allowed or not. Here it was allowed in some cases. It was allowed with an “Owned By Endorsement”.

Thanks again ask your agent i f they allow "owned by"endorsement.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
one person can have the title, and it can be registered to a different person? If I have it registered in my name, am I able to get it insured in my name as well?

It can be done this way of the insurance company does ' owned by" endorsement.It the insurance agent that may be the stickler, legally it is possible.See if the agent and the insurer will allow this.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright. So this will work if the car is not yet insured, correct? Do I need the car to be insured before I can get it registered in my name?

Yes you would and you would want to run this by the agent.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you explain the order of events for this?

Contact the agent to make sure this is allowed by your insurance agent, then once insured you can get it registered in your name.It will be the insurance that may give you a hard time, hopefully they allow " owned by endorsement."

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright, so I need to contact an insurance company first, get a policy with them that allows this, and then I can go to the DMV and get it registered in my name?

Thats correct, thanks again and the best to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am basically purchasing an insurance policy that is not applied to any vehicles yet? And then I go to the DMV and get it applied to the vehicle after it is registered?

Yes thats correct.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thank you for your assistance. Is there a document that describes this process?

Forgive me what state are you in I will get that, thanks.

Reference to owned by endorsement.

This should walk you through this.

Ray and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you