Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My mother passed in 1/15/2015 I'm the oldest of 4. We

Customer Question

Hi, my mother passed in 1/15/2015 I'm the oldest of 4. We promised my mother we would keep the family house in the family. I've been paying the mortgage on the house. now it's tax time I need to know what to do
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is the house still in mother's name or has her estate been settled and the property deeded over to the children?

.

What taxes are you referring to?...property taxes?

.

Who is using the house currently?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the property is in the estate of Georgia Marshall. Myself and 1 sister is living in the house.
The interest paid on the mortgage

Ok, if the house is owned by the estate, then only the estate could claim any mortgage interest deduction on its taxes against any income since the loan would be reported under your mother's SSN and it is her estate that will receive a 1098

.

In order to be able to claim that interest, someone will have to settle her estate so that the property is transferred out of the estate to the children as legal owners so they can then get all the benefits of legal ownership..

.

.

thanks