INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I was hired by written contract for 2 years at $185,000.00

Customer Question

I was hired by written contract for 2 years at $185,000.00 per year to be the Chief Security Officer (CSO) of Santa Fe Digital Media, LLC, by then CEO Lew Lew-Lee. back in 2011. I worked for 6 months and was never paid. When I billed Lew-Lee for back salary he asked me to "stand down." SFDM later incorporated and Lew-Lee promised he would pay me. The company has now incorporated in Deleware as OrcaXGroup, INC. Lew-Lee has promised within the last 6 months that I will get my money. Lew-Lee continues to say he has not yet received funding for his company and that is why he can't pay me. I moved to Santa Fe in September, 2011, and did survey studies for security on 2 buildings Lew-Lee was planning to rent, but never did rent. He claims he is still seeking funding. He asked me to move to Santa Fe, which I did as part of my contract deal. What can I do?
JA: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?
Customer: It was originally in New Mexico as Santa Fe Digital Media, LLC, but then incorporated in NM. Lew-Lee has now incorporated in Delaware as OrcaXGroup. Inc. All along, Lew-Lee has promised to pay me for the last 5 years.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have not filed anything with anyone because Lew-Lee and I used to be good friends and I did not want to ruin that friendship, but the contract was for $185,000.00 per year and I have received nothing. It cost me nearly $30,000.00 to move to Santa Fe as Lew-Lee had asked. I can no longer afford this.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Lew-Lee has said on the phone and by e-mail that I would get my money. He said this as CEO of SFDM, LLC, as CEO of SFDM, Inc in New Mexico and he has said it as CEO of OrcaXgroup, Inc in DelAware.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what outcome are you seeking at this point? are you asking for options to prepare and pursue a claim?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do I have a valid suit for any amount? It cost me about $30,000.00 to move to Santa Fe, NM and rent an apartment for 1 year at Lee Lew-Lee's request. I did not attempt to get any money sooner because we are (were) friends and Lew-lee has stated he would like to hire me as a consultant when his company is up and running. I think he is just stalling and I can't afford it anymore. At this point I don't care about the friendship we used to have. I am not looking for the whole 2 years worth of contract, just the time I worked, plus the 2 months I was not paid at termination according to New Mexico law.
You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow upFive
Kindly rate me five stars. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.