Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I made a purchase at a local Computer Parts Supply Store and

Customer Question

I made a purchase at a local Computer Parts Supply Store and made the purchase with a Debit card from my local bank. At payment time the clerk took my card and ran it through a reader out of my sight, and brought the card and a receipt that I signed. When I received my Bank statement, on the same date that I made my purchase, there was also a purchase shown to a car insurance company for $771.00 which I did NOT make. It is my belief that when I made my purchase, the clerk had made a copy of my card information, and made the car insurance purchase with information from my card. Is there a legal consequence for such action?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The state is SC, and I have not yet reported this to anyone. The car insurance was THE Hartford Insurance located out of SC, Conn. I believe.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Am I obligated to pay this lawyer, or should I report this to a local attorneey?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You want to contact your bank's fraud department immediately and file a report. Debit card transactions do not have the same protections as credit card transactions, but they canstill be disputed and reversed.

Also after speaking with your bank contact law enforcement and file an identity theft complaint. Given the nature of the transaction it is very possible that the may be able to track the prepetrator.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.