Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My mom is 67 years old and lives on her own. She gets 1075

Customer Question

My mom is 67 years old and lives on her own. She gets 1075 per month from SS and she receives a pension of $300 per month. She has an illness that left her with chronic fatigue syndrome so I look after her. I pay for a part time house keeper and I also provide my mom with spending money each week. Can I filer her on my taxes?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Indianapolis. My mom has a mortgage on a condo and I am renting my place
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not this year
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Unfortunately it does not sound like you meet the IRS test required to claim you rmother on your return. here are the rquirements:

• Your relative must live at your residence.
  • Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,000 and be claimed by you as a dependent.
  • You must provide more than half of your relative’s total support each year.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.