RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I need help w a ridiculous citation thats embarrassing to

Customer Question

I need help w a ridiculous citation thats embarrassing to even discuss in a new area i recently moved, i need a lawyer but because it is a citation n i cant afford $2500 for a lwyer should i try to fight it myself even though i now its best to have a lawyer...question is..can a paralegal represent me?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: .?i just know he gave me a ticket n said i could pay the fine or go to court n im so upset
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. Never sued anyone but in this case can i file a lawsuit for slander againt the company who is causing me all this stress n is there a charge for Stupid :) just kidding about the last part...nothing funny about this but its so hard for me as never had anything like this in my life i am 63
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

A paralegal cannot represent you in court. You may either represent yourself, or a lawyer would have to represent you. A paralegal can draft legal documents for you if you were representing yourself, and help you in that limited capacity though. Some paralegal services do offer this.

Anyone can sue almost anyone else in this country --whether you have a good case is another thing. In order to win a suit for defamation (slander is a form of defamation) you'll need to be able to establish that the defendant intentionally or negligently made a false statement or statements about you to someone else (a third party) and that you suffered economic harm as a result. The vast majority of the time, what I find is that most people have no, or little economic damages, to make recovery worthwhile.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!