Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I received 46,000 from a profit sharing fund at work when I

Customer Question

I received 46,000 from a profit sharing fund at work when I quit my job there! I did not know I had to save money back for taxes, penalties so now after its too late I have no !money left to pay taxes!!! Help...what can I do! I am a 57 young woman married with my husband still working! I thought if I filed married but separate it would not be such a burden for him...it would be on me! HELP!!! PLEASE!!!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot really change the situation by filing married filing separate. Unfortunately, you are asking one of those questions to which there is no good answer for you. You received the money, you have 4 months to put the money together to cover the taxes and penalties. You do not have to file your taxes and pay them until April 15, so that is 4 months to try to find the money for payment. I wish there was another legal answer for you, hut there simply is not.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.