Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I inherited a house Aug 28, 2016 am I required to pay Real

Customer Question

I inherited a house Aug 28, 2016 am I required to pay Real Estate taxes for the entire year?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Well I paid the tax as it is in my name as of the 28 of Aug. so yep it is on record.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Brother die the 28 of May and yet his estate continue to receive rent from said house until 1 Sept 2016!
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Although you do need to pay the taxes to avoid the taxing authorities from foreclosing on the house to collect the taxes, you do have a claim against the estate of the decedent for the period prior to death. Ultimate liability for the taxes for the year in which you inherited the property are allocated between you and the estate based upon when you inherited the property. For the portion of the year prior to the decedent's death, the decedent's estate is liable and if the executor of the estate won't reimburse you if you pay the taxes, then file a suit against the estate to collect those taxes.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars J). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!