John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I have been performing a teaching service without contract

Customer Question

I have been performing a teaching service without contract and been billing monthly am I free to bill at a rate I feel appropriate especially since my invoices are taking forever to be paid? Initially, there was a written contract but it has long ago expired and the working conditions are significantly modified.
JA: The Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime do not leave this page and you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

You may change the billing rate, but you must notify them of the billing increase and get their agreement before commencing the work; i.e., you cannot do the work then bill at higher rate after the fact without them knowing it was being billed at the higher rate. You do in fact have an implied contract t the lower rate based on past performance, but there's nothing that requires you to adhere to that rate for any amount of future time. Thus, just as long as you notify them of this change and get agreement, you may bill at the higher rate for future work.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.