Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

If i am the cosigner on a loan and the person defaulted can

Customer Question

if i am the cosigner on a loan and the person defaulted can i get my money back from them if they live in another state
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: the loan is in pa...she moved to kansas..i have been making the payments now since sept 2016..still have 7,800.00 to go not including interest
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 16 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Yes, you can. Of course, you first need to obtain a judgment. To obtain the Judge, you would have to file a civil lawsuit against them. If you prevail and get a judgment, you can then enforce the judgment against them. Now, if they agreement and everything was made in the state where you reside, you could try and file it there. If not, you would have to sue them in the State where they reside. The fact that they live in another state, does not prevent the filing of the lawsuit. It just may mean you have to do it where they reside.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
are you saying i would have to personally go to kansas where she resides?

It depends. If the agreement you made with them was in the State where you reside, you could sue there. However, if it was not and/or they resided in Kansas when it was made, you would have to sue them there.