Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was serve an eviction notice in nj, yes i. im su supposed

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: i was serve an eviction notice in nj
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes i. im su supposed to leave premises this monday.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have the money to pay the rent but am worried its too late to do anyhing
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: NJ
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Is this an eviction order, by the court or a notice to cure or vacate issued by the landlord? When was rent due and did they give you any notice or chance to pay?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is by the court. my father pays rent for me via credit card and my payments where delayed because the payment portal was disabled. It happened before, but the would enable it and I wouls pay online usually 2 months of rent because for the first one it was always impossible to pay online, so this time I did not gave it to much thought. They would always semd the case to court for late payment When I received this last court summon it was not even dated. I sent an email to the aparment manager requesting them to anable the website so I could pay online. She refused saying she could not accept credit card payments only a check. the portal was always enabled in the past. my father lives in another country so it was uphill for me to get that amount of money cash. I owed 3 months comin to a total of 3800 . Now with the first of this month up It would be 5000. The eviction was left in my front door thursday. I froze and just pulled one huge effort and got the money sent from my father. but it was too late on friday to actually be able to go to court and postpone it. Im supposed to leave the house monday morning before 8:30am. Is there anything I can do?

At this point, you need to try and get them to accept the rent and agree to stop the eviction. I say this because if rent is 3-4 months late, they would have a right to evict and it is your responsibility, as the tenant, to make sure the rent is paid and on time. If you pay them in cash, so they see you have it, they may accept it but the truth is, that they do not have to at this time, since the final eviction was already ordered. I know it is not ideal but unless they 1) accept it and 2) contact the Sheriff, you will need to vacate.