Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Does my brother have to pay a tax on his house in Costa Rica

Customer Question

does my brother have to pay a tax on his house in Costa Rica if he sells it to move back to the US
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Costa Rica Central America
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: he has always filed US income taxes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is small money
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

It is quite possible that he would have to pay a capital gains tax in the US since he has been paying taxes here. In addition, there are property taxes that have to be paid in Costa Rica.

There is a description of the various taxes at http://www.remax-oceansurf-cr.com/frequently-asked-questions and at http://www.ticotimes.net/realestate/2015/01/taxes-you-need-to-know-about-when-living-in-costa-rica/

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.