Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Probate was closed and it turns out that an account I need

Customer Question

probate was closed and it turns out that an account I need to turn over to the estate needs a letter of authority that is dated within 60 days I have one from six months agi ago
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: MI
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: it was filed with the state ... but I thought i had to pall off all his debts before I could move the account over now the probate is closed and I have an outdated letter
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 15 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 15 days ago.

You will need to motion the probate court to reopen the estate.This is not uncommon and the court will do so and reissue any necessary letters of authority.You will likely need to amend the inventory as well to show the funds coming into the estate and then being disbursed.If you had lawyer for the estate you can get them to help you here.This is the legal procedure to remedy this.

If you want to take a crack at this yourself here are the forms.

http://www.wcpc.us/Info/FAQ/reopenestate.htm

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I am sorry you are having to deal with this.I wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.