Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

If the obligator losses his job would his present wife have

Customer Question

If the obligator losses his job would his present wife have to pay out of her disability?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He pays child support now, most of it is back child support.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He and my sister are planing to get married. But if for some reason he looses his job, would she be on the hook. She is disable.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

No she is not legally liable for his child support debt.It is his and his alone.She would want to file married filing separately because they can take his tax refund for arrears.As long as she does this she has no liability and they cannot take any refund due her separately if she files that way.This is solely his debt and that doesn't change if she marries.She wants to keep her funds separate and her tax return as well to avoid any problems.As long as she does this she will be fine here in Texas.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can psoitive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.