How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20067
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A mechanic shop fixed my rig rear wheel seal and they didn't

Customer Question

A mechanic shop fixed my rig rear wheel seal and they didn't put any oil back in it. So I picked my truck up 12/23/2017 and it broke 12/24/2016 causing $4,000 worth of damage. What route do I need to take to have them to reimburse me for the damages?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 months ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. At this point, if the manager will not take your calls, and there is no one senior to him available to speak to, you should consider writing a certified letter (with return receipt) laying out what happened and what the damages were, and then telling them what you want from them. You should give them a reasonable time to respond, usually a week to 10 days, and then let them know if you do not hear from them you will consider taking legal steps.

If you do not receive an offer to cover the damages from the shop, then you will have to file suit in small claims court if you want your money back, unless they agree to go to mediation on the issue. The process in small claims court if fairly easy and straightforward and you do not need an attorney to handle it. You can get the forms needed for filing either online through the county court clerk website or in person at the court clerk's office in the county where the work was done. You will need to convince the court that the shop was responsible and bring all of the receipts and estimates that you have for the initial repair and any subsequent estimation of damages or repair of damages. It would certainly also help if you have a mechanic write an affidavit that the lack of oil caused the damages.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. I will be away from my computer most of the morning, but will respond as soon as I can. If you do not need any further assistance, then if you could take a moment to let me know I covered your question and also to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, the Site will then give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 7th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.