Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My mom died in 2009 left no will. My sister and brother are

Customer Question

My name is***** My mom died in 2009 left no will. My sister and brother are in agreement for me to have her 3 quarters of an acre. We need 2 Transfer Deed in Liue for them to sign the property over to me. Is this legal with just a notary signature and filed with the court in Texas.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been the one paying the taxes all the time. I am 65 years of age at the moment.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 16 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Could you clarify?

Your mother owned the whole acres or did she own the property with your brother and sister?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My mother was the only owner of the property. She left now will. My brother and sister are not interested in any part of it. I was told that I needed a transfer deed in lieu for them to sign before a notary. Giving me legal rights to the property.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for the information.

Your Question:

My mom died in 2009 left no will. My sister and brother are in agreement for me to have her 3 quarters of an acre. We need 2 Transfer Deed in Liue for them to sign the property over to me. Is this legal with just a notary signature and filed with the court in Texas.

Response: Yes, it is legal. However, the Quitclaim deed is not filed with the Court. The Quitclaim deed would be recorded with the County Recorder of Land Records/Registry of Deeds.

Best wishes,