Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My father has made a living trust. Im one of two children.

Customer Question

My father has made a living trust. Im one of two children. My sister seems to be getting 75% of his estate. How can I contest? He has 4th stage cancer and is declining fast.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: You see I have Been left out of the loop
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Time is of the essence
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can contest if it was done under fraud, duress, or without mental capacity due to medical illness. would any of those apply?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At the time he was under a major amount of pain. But a Lawyer was present, Karen A. Stevenson in LaMirada Ca. so fraud can be ruled out. My father called me @ mid Dec. informing me that myself ,the lawyer, my sister would be sitting down together to make out the trust/will. I was not there when this was done.

To prevail, you have to show by medical evidence that it was beyond pain - that he was out of his mind and lacking capacity due to serious mental/emotional condition and inability to make decisions.

displeasure with the terms is not enough. You need to show he was not himself based on expert and medical testimony. A lawyer could attempt it and may well prompt a settlement if there are helpful facts.

Is that clear and acceptable?