Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Can my employer call my doctor and ask them to mail me a

Customer Question

Can my employer call my doctor and ask them to mail me a copy of my physical restrictions after a surgery without my consent
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Idaho
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, the doctor has the information available
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does this action by my employer violate Hipaa
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

The employer can require a "clear to work" letter form your doctor, but your doctor can not give such a letter without your consent.

Likewise, your employer can refuse to return you to the work schedule if you do not consent to the release of the letter from the doctor.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!