Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I received money from my dad Sophia Leone my lawsuit but he

Customer Question

I received money from my dad Sophia Leone my lawsuit but he passed away do I I'm trying to get help with part because on my disability do I have to tell them about the money I receive for that
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: he passed away and each sibling is getting money from it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I on disability ohio not paying part b to get help from me dacia do I have to tell them
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

What type of disability are you getting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sociAL Security disibility

There are two types of Social Security Disability. SSD and SSDI. One of them (SSDI) is needs based whereas SSD is based solely on work history. Do you know which one of those two it is?

If not, how much are you getting each month?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
631.00 but they took 134. 00 out already
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
should ohio cover it free work history

At that amount then it is likely it would be SSDI which is needs based. You have to report any money you get to them and it can affect whether or not you continue to get benefits.

How much money did you get from your father?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
seventy thousands dollar would it be considered an inheritance
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
income or asset?

I can't really comment on what it would be considered since I haven't examined all of the paperwork, etc. It would definitely be an asset.

However, at this point you need to see a local lawyer to look into whether you can get the money put into some kind of trust that won't affect your disability.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what kind of lawyer

You can find a lawyer by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter "Trusts" or "Trusts and Estates". Either of those will work. They will know how to structure the money so that, if it is possible, it doesn't affect your social security. Ask them specifically about a Special Needs Trust but they may have some other ideas as well.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.