Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If two people sign a month to month rental agreement and are

Customer Question

If two people sign a month to month rental agreement and are approved based on their dual income and one wants to move out, should the one who wants to move out notify the landlord? what if they were approved based on their dual incomes?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. They were not married at the time of the signing of the rental agreement but they are now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is no notification required to the landlord unless the lease states so. Assuming it does not, the lease actually continues and even if the person moved out, they are still liable for any missed payments by the person that remained behind (or rather, both of them are liable, jointly and separately). Unless, the person that is moving out can talk the landlord into providing a release from the contract.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).