Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I had a doctors bill I tried to pay with my hsa Visa card.

Customer Question

I had a doctors bill I tried to pay with my hsa Visa card. The doctors office used a billing company that refused to accept the card. I and my employer contribute to this. This is how I pay all my medical expenses. The bill is now a debt and has been turned over to collections. They also refuse to accept my card. The expense is covered under hsa as approved expense. Do I have any legal ground? They are hurting my credit and refused payment.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Can you tell me the State that your question pertains to? Are they not accepted your card or any type of credit cards?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
North Dakota. No they would not expect my health savings account Visa card
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 13 days ago.

I may not have phrased my question properly. Is it just your health savings account Visa all of this type of Visa.

A Doctor can have their own billing practices, but they cannot treat different patients payments differently.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I only use my health savings account Visa on medical expenses. I did not give another option of payment. I put money in the account out of my check and so does my employer. I can use this card anywhere but pay a penalty on taxes if it's not a medical expense. It's a Visa card it can be used anywhere.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the clarification. I understand how the health savings account works. What I am asking is if

this Doctor not accept Visa as a form of payment? I understand that this how you pay for your medical expenses. What I am trying to determine is whether this office does not accept that form of payment.

Can you provide the Office name so I can check their billing requirements?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 13 days ago.

What form of payment does the Doctor's Office accept?