Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I applied for pre approval for a mortgage loan and paid the

Customer Question

i applied for pre approval for a mortgage loan and paid the earnest money with the builder at the same time. unfortunately i was not approved. the builder already cashed in my earnest check of 2T. Will I still be able to get my 2T earnest money back since I wasn't approved ?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the lender already informed me by e-mail that they sent me a letter of disapproval of my application for mortgage loan- I am still waiting for it due to the holidays but the lender also asked me if i have talked to the builder. I tried to call the rep of the builder but its always the voicemail.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It happened 2nd week of dec 2016. just want to know if I still have the legal right to follow up on the status and retrieval of that earnest money or should I just stop and let th builder take it like that . Thank you very much.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.

You should be able to recover it. Did you sign any contract with the builder that this would be contingent on financing?

Let me know if you have any other questions otherwise a positive rating of 5 stars would be greatly appreciated.