RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What can i do about about hippa voilation of a nursing

Customer Question

what can i do about about hippa voilation of a nursing taking pictures of my grand daughter putting them on social media also they were the.also she have pictures we don't even have of her
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i made a complaint with the nursing company. where do i need to file a report??
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

A HIPAA complaint should be filed with the Office for Civil Rights, which you can do here. A party cannot sue civilly for a HIPAA violation, though an entity may face civil penalties, and potentially criminal penalties in some situations for violating patient confidentiality.

A private party may be able to bring a suit for invasion of privacy against a healthcare provider for disclosing patient information or violating their privacy, however, that is something that you would want to discuss in more detail with a local attorney. In order for there to be recovery, there has to be some form of economic damages suffered, and that may be hard to establish depending on the facts and circumstances of each particular case.