Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I embezzled money from a bank and I spent 12 months in

Customer Question

I embezzled money from a bank and I spent 12 months in federal prison at sentencing the judge ordered I pay 100.00 a month back restitution. Every year they keep raising my restitution I've still continued to just pay the 100.00 a month the judge ordered. My question is I'm now married and they are asking for my husbands income and he had nothing to do with my crime and he refuses to give it to them can they make us give them his financial information? Can they do anything legally to me for only paying the 100.00 the judge ordered?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean filed or reported
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no this is it
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 16 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 16 days ago.

While your spouse is not liable for what you did, the Federal government can step in and seize assets in both of your names as well as property of your spouse that they have reason to believe was purchased with money earned from your illegal gains.

So yes, your payments can be revalued on the basis of your husband's income. How far the government will pursue this matter remains to be seen but if they appear insistent you may want to engage local counsel.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 15 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.