legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I was shot while at work on 9/21/2012. I was wondering about

Customer Question

I was shot while at work on 9/21/2012. I was wondering about the statue of limitations. I saw something that said its 12 years if the victim is disabled as a result? Is this the case.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes but only the workers comp and social security disability. Not the Civil
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the shooter admitted on the gun form that he was a 'fugitive' then crossed it out. also, the shooter was a mental patient. k
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A statute of limitations can be "tolled" or suspended if the victim/plaintiff is mentally disabled; that is pursuant to the following statute:

78B-2-224. Disabilities -- Time tolled. A statute of limitations may not be applied to a person's ability to bring an action during a period in which the person is: (1) a minor; or (2) mentally incompetent.

But there is no tolling for physical disabilities, unfortunately.

The statute of limitations for personal injury is 4 years from the date of injury pursuant to 78B-2-307(3) . Also please see:

https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/statute_limitation/

The statute of limitations is also tolled if the defendant is out of state, so that may be worth checking into.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry. Didn't know I could add. I did some searching and if I'm understanding correctly if the victim is disabled (partially or permanently) then the statue is 12 years. Do you know if this correct? I have my disability hearing in February.

I am not aware of any statute that extends the statute of limitations due to a physical disability; I have researched the statutes extensively and could not locate any such statute; and over the years of researching I have never come across any such statute.

I wish I had better news.

If no further questions kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it. Thank you.