Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I won a case in small claims but now he has filed chapter 13

Customer Question

Hello, I won a case in small claims but now he has filed chapter 13 bancruptcy. Is it worth my time and future money to persue? $321 was what I was going for.
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: Indiana, yes..received two letters from his lawyer saying I needed to be in court. Waste of money?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By me referring to his bankruptcy..no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will I be loosing the battle before I start?
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

It all depends on what you value your time at.. In a Ch 13 that is a reorganization where the creditors have to meet, typically several times, with the BK trustee to work out a payment schedule where most of the debts are either reduced and paid or reduced and paid off over 3 to 5 years..

.

So if you are saying your debt was $321.00... since that likely would be reduced in the BK payment agreement, it wouldnt' be worth it to me to spend several hours a day on several days going to the BK creditors meetings...

.

.

thanks