RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I informed a customer of mine that a fellow employee of mine

Customer Question

I informed a customer of mine that a fellow employee of mine had a sexual conduct conviction and now the company I work is now going to terminate me it is public knowledge on the sexual charge. Fair?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By me, no. The conviction information is online.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not think so. Thanks
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

Fair --no. Legal though? Unfortunately yes. Michigan, like most states, is an at will employer. That means in the absence of an employment contract or union agreement, employees may be terminated at any time, with or without cause. It makes no difference, regrettably, that the customer could look up this information themselves. You can just as easily be terminated because your boss wakes up in the morning and feels like it.

Absent being terminated for an unlawful reason -because of your race, religion, age, sex, disability or national origin, for example, the employer acted within their rights.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed about this question?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!