AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

One last question... hopefully... I obtained a copy of my

Customer Question

One last question... hopefully... I obtained a copy of my stipulated general judgment from the Mult. Co. Portland OR courthouse. It states that the co-petitioner's (me) former name is ***** ***** is the process to complete this, and is it something that I MUST do, or have OPTION to do. I hope to remarry sometime, and don't want to find out at that time that I didn't complete the divorce process. Thank you.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Normally, changing your name under the decree is your option. If you want to change it, you can use the court order and change it. If you don't want to change it, you keep your married name.

To change it, you would get a certified copy of your decree and take it to the social security administration and they would issue a new card. You can do the same to get a new Driver's License. From there, you can change other items as well (with either a copy of your decree or your new Id), such as credit cards, etc. That's all most people do. Does that make sense?