RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I was working a job and it said my probationary end date was

Customer Question

I was working a job and it said my probationary end date was January 04-2017 my hire date was January 4 2016 I was fired 20 minutes before the end of my shift on January 4 2017 so if it says I am off probation on January 4th thats the start of the next career service year are they awful to do this
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: utah
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have a sucssful evaluation dated from 06-30-2016 -06-30-2017 other than that there is nothing recorded
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Wow, that's very unprofessional for an employer to do that. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it illegal. Utah, like most every state, is an "at will" employer. That means in the absence on a written contract or union agreement, which may provide more rights, an employee may be terminated at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all. Doesn't matter if you've had great evaluations or are the best employee they ever had -they can still choose to terminate you.

It would only be unlawful if the employer terminated you for an illegal reason - such as because of your race, religion, age (over 40) sex, disability or national origin. It's not clear from the facts if that was the case here or not, but based on this information alone, while it was awful what they did, it's not against any labor law.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!